Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Covenant by Evangeline Anderson



SPOILER ALERT

The Covenant is about a female Paranormal Enforcer by the name of Kaitlyn whom is charged with taking a 300 year old vampire, Sumner Holden, into custody. The book starts off with Kaitlyn watching a recording of Sumner killing an innocent civilian. We quickly discover that Sumner has been trying to get a meeting with Kaitlyn for weeks and this is the only way that vampire Sumner can figure to get her attention.

What I first noticed about this book is that it is in the first person. Kaitlyn's point of view to be exact. I am not a fan of the first person narrative, but I still continued to read this book. Almost immediately I was hooked and extremely interested in why Sumner went to the extreme to get Kaitlyn's attention. What did he need from her? Was he really a evil vampire or just misunderstood? The more I read the book the more I realized it was not going to be one of my favorites. 


The first thing I didn't like about the book, besides first person, was how I felt teased with the sexual tension and situations. In my opinion, there's a fine line between sexual tension and being teased. I felt like I was being teased within an inch of my life. If a woman could get blue balls, I got them. I found myself, in my head of course, telling Kaitlyn to "make up your goddamn mind if you wanna sex him or not." Maybe I'm sexed crazed, maybe I wanted them to jump into bed prematurely, WHATEVER - I just know that is how I felt. By the time they finally did the do I could've closed the book (hit the red X) and would've been satisfied. But I pushed on.

The second thing I wasn't too fond of was the fact that the reader never knows what is driving the demon cloud to only pursue female Wiccans. Sumner explains how his wife, before he was turned, was 'gifted' and that is why the demon went after her, but I was still in the dark about why it hated women so much. The third and last thing I didn't like was how indecisive and torn Kaitlyn was about telling Sumner she loved him. I understand that telling him, or should I say admitting it to herself, too early would have cancelled out the meaning behind the book's title, but hell by the time I was at the end I was ready for this woman to just wake up and smell the vampire love.

I give this book my base rating because though I didn't like it - I didn't HATE it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment